Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tennis Is The Last To Go


I’m not going to lie to you.  Things have not been great this year.  My husband lost his full time job over a year ago and we have been scraping by on project and freelance work ever since.  A lot has changed.

I don’t go to movies or out to dinner, pretty much ever.  The cleaning woman comes half as often as she used to.  No more Poland Spring deliveries.  I just cancelled my YMCA membership. 

We still have an guy come mow the lawn because 1. We don’t have a lawnmower and 2. He is so dang cheap.  If it were left to us, it would never get done.  But I rarely buy clothes.  No pedicures or waxing of any kind.  Haircuts, only when absolutely necessary.

We haven’t replaced the broken vacuum cleaner – using instead the hundred-year-old Electrolux that had been relegated to basement use only.  We’ve left our over-priced accountant, my excellent (but expensive) shrink, and barely go on vacations ever to anywhere.

However, I still play tennis at least twice a week.  Three times on a good week. 

Tennis is my meditation and my salvation.  It is the single thing I look forward to week in and week out.  Indoor court time does not come cheap, but the whole family agrees: Mom needs her tennis.

No comments:

Post a Comment